I grew up with my long lost brother, but that fact does not make the label any less true. I don't know much about him. There are people I worked with at short retail jobs in my teens who I got to know better than I ever knew my little brother. There was not a drifting apart and there was not any kind of animosity that kept us apart from the start. I care for my brother and love my brother like anyone would.
But I do not know my brother.
If you think it is disingenuous of me to call him a "long lost brother" when we grew up together and I remember him smiling from his crib, please understand. If a man reached my age of thirty and only then learned they had a brother they had never met, never spoken with, never heard of before they would know that brother better than I know mine. They would know at least that he, too, had a long lost brother.
It is not accurate to say that I miss my brother, because you cannot really miss those who you don't know. I missed by brother, the way you miss a fly ball.
I write here about programming, how to program better, things I think are neat and are related to programming. I might write other things at my personal website.
- The Curl Pipe
- Dead To Me! DomNomNom
- The Problem with Coders' Technology Focus
- Farewell to XMLHttpRequest; Long live window.fetch...
- I Want to Write More Often
- Top Articles
- Firefox Users on Linux Deserve Better Downloads
- Dead to Me! Trapdoor, Prototyping web-based deskto...
- Dead to Me!
- On Atheism Plus
- Alternate Computer Science History
- Hexel Art: Brain Pulse
- CARDIAC: The Cardboard Computer
- Caktus Ship It! Day 2014 Q3 Post-Mortem - Part 2: ...
- Growing Up With Your Long Lost Brother
- Death by Drawing
- Caktus Ship It! Day 2014 Q3 Post-Mortem - Part 1: ...
- The Flying Fish: Learning to Balance Passions
- The "Cost" of Diversity
- The Lessons of Vim
- The Year I Didn't Attend A Conference
- The Uselessness of HTML Imports
- Duckling, A Date-Parsing Library That Makes Me Ret...
- Who Will You Be Tomorrow?
- OctoJam 2014: A game jam for the 1970s
- ▼ October (25)
- ► 2012 (19)
- ► 2011 (19)
- ► 2010 (32)
- ► 2008 (28)
- ► 2007 (113)