For 2007 this means... that I need to wrap up the last year
We moved back to North Carolina when the Pennsylvania winter cleared up, and I'll admit that the summer was a bit rough. I lost my most steady contract when funding went sour, shortly before the movie, but you know what? Staying home with the family was great without a lot of work to be done, and we got by OK. I enjoyed the time.
After a while, I started CharPy, the Charlotte Python Group. We're still small and growing, but the first meeting gave me a lead on a full-time position at SocialServe.com, where I'm now happily employeed. We're bringing the group back up, after a holiday hiatus, and looking forward to a year of expanding in any way we can.
For New Years Resolutions this means... I have some promises to make
I'm going with the usual diet and excersize. I quit smoking years ago and I've very recently become a vegetarian, so the time is ripe to really hit the health bandwagon with an excersize routine, however small but consistant. Dropping 10 pounds over the holidays is pretty encouraging.
More important to me is my new dedication to do something non-code and creative at least once a day. So, that means I'm either writing, drawing, painting, or practicing the guitar, my lost skill. I'm actually scheduling some time to read fiction, as my non-fiction reading is just consuming all my literary life.
For Blogging this means... I need to expand and focus
I'll be posting my writings on Spilt Mind and writing about what I read and watch on Mental Outlash, two blogs I barely touch. I'll try to write some personal things on my original blog, but I don't even think anyone has it in a reader or every looks at it. I'll likely do something like cross-blog linking, so be aware that posts may now contain links to recent posts in my other blogs.
For Projects this means... one of my back-burners needs to cook
Keeping all of my own projects on hiatus can't continue. I need to take one of them off, but probably not until the summer. I'm guessing my domain, jigspace.com, is going to get used soon, so look out for it.
For 2008 this means... unoriginally, I have predictions
Everyone else is doing it!
- Kindle will be called a success, but won't be. Kindle 2 will be slimmer, cheaper, and the pricing model will drop
- Android phones will have terrible advertising. iPhone will continue to be sexier, reguardless of any real comparison
- IronPython will adopt the standard library and I've got my fingers crossed for this one
- At least one major PC gaming title will release with simultaneous Mac, Linux, and Windows support
- Glow technology will find its way into backlights
- Cross-browser extension platforms will emerge so we can break the chains of Firefox
- Nintendo will open up the WiiStore for indie game developers
- Apple will open the iPhone and iTouch to compete with Android
- Someone will release an Android compatibility layer, if partial, for iPhone
- An over-the-counter recreational drug will be announced